Tuesday, September 28, 2010

What to do.

Don't you just love school holidays :) no morning rush.  This morning my daughter wanted pancakes, we made the pancake mixture, I went off to be sick again (at the moment this is a common occurrence in our household) the my husband came home from work and cooked them for me:)




What a great way to start the day :) (I mean the pancakes, not being sick)

So what do you do when you have had 14 and a half weeks of the worst morning (all day) sickness, no social interaction other than school pick up.  You teach yourself to crochet, make a list of projects you would like to finish.  Well actually I only have done that in the last week.  To be totally honest, the last 14 weeks have been very challenging, lonely and frustrating for me, but also a time where the Lord had to teach me a few things. 

For those of you who do not know me, I am not one to sit down and do nothing I am always on the go, doing this and that.  I actually find it very hard to just sit and watch tv or blob.  I feel that I must be doing something that I am being lazy if I just sit.  (This is something I am working on and having a very lade back husband has helped me allot)  So you can imagine how hard it has been for me not to be able to do anything, had trouble cooking, cleaning, just getting through the day was a challenge.  I was nauseous all the time, had head spins, sooo tired and the smell or though of food made me ill.  Even the smell toast or peanut butter had me running.  The Lord showed me 2 things the first was am I a Mary or Martha.  Here is the little article I wrote for our church ladies newsletter.  (Now when I wrote this I did not know I was pregnant I had actually been suffering from morning sickness)

Luke 10 : 38 - 42


Mary Or Martha 

This past week I have been sick with the flu and then twisted my ankle. I had so many plans for the first week of the school holidays, outings, cleaning, you name it, it was on my list. Then I got sick and hurt myself and all my plans went out the window.
I was reading the bible and read the story of Mary and Martha. The story stirred something in me and made me evaluate and think about my life, (especially the last few years since being married and a mum) my priorities. I pondered on the Western life in general.
I am very Martha like, and I saw myself in a new light. Running to and fro, taking care of everything, doing and cleaning and always on the go, when the most important thing is to just be still and listen to His voice and have a worshipful spirit.
Then I came across this quote on a friend’s facebook page.


“ Slow us down, dear Lord. We’ve been like Martha, worried and distracted, instead of Mary, who spent time at Your feet, enjoying and adoring You. Please change our hearts..”

Learning to spend time at the Lord’s feet like Mary is a hard thing to do. It is easy to get distracted by life, the children, the fly on the wall, that ball of fluff on the floor.
Many times I am so busy doing things that I miss out on what he has for me and miss out on a relationship with him. Our culture is one that is on the go all the time and it is hard to find the time.
Don't get me wrong we need Martha but sometimes Martha can get lost with the doing, coming and going. My prayer for all of us is that we learn to fit a bit of Mary's nature into our lives everyday.

Quote:


It's exciting to live in complete oneness with the will of God. It is never dull or static because it is not a one-time, once-for-all commitment. It is something we have to work at constantly, moment by moment.--Evelyn Christenson


So that was the first lesson then after about 10 weeks of being sick and having had prayer for the morning sickness I was asking God why, why, why.  By this point was was totally frustrated, then he showed me that he had allowed me to this sick, he did not heal me as it was the only way he could get me to sit and listen.  (I must not have learnt the lesson that he showed me about Mary and Martha).  It was during this time that I was shown what he wanted me to do, just sit in his presence and pray and intercede for member and situations in my family.  I was being called to pray.  It was a time that I really needed to pray about a situation and the outcome was better than I could have imagined.

The last few weeks the morning sickness is not as bad and I have a few hours during the day when I am okay.  So I decided to learn how to crochet, something I have always wanted to learn.  I started with "The art of crochet" subscription every 2 weeks I will learn a new stitch and at the end of it I will have made a lovely throw. 



Other projects I am planning to do as I get better are:
 I painted all our furniture in our room white but I still have not found the right knobs for the draws
 This desk I got for my eldest from ebay for $15 needs some tlc, a new coat of paint and some new draw knobs.
 Thinking of painting this tallboy white to go with the girls room.  Needs new knobs and am thinking of removing the panels in the cupboard and replacing them with mesh or over them in some pretty material, or paint a picture on them.
 Oh my what was I thinking 9 years ago when I painted this change table yellow.  In my defence I though it was a lighter colour.  This need a new coat of paint and some tlc.
And my lovely table I picked up over a year ago.  I started sanding it needs to be totally sanded and repainted.  There are 3 coats of paint on it and it was finished with this terrible poo brown colour :(

And get my sewing machine fixed.

So that should keep me out of trouble for a few weeks.  Will post as I finish each project.

2 comments:

  1. If you approach each trial in life as an opportunity to learn something more about the Father, you will find yourself 1) embracing the hardships because you know it will bring you closer to Him and 2) opening yourself up to a wonderful work of the Father in your life. He wants our hearts to seek him. Use your downtime to do this, and you will be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have always amazed me with your creativity Bek. (I love the table in the last photo!) Life gets so busy sometimes doing things that we forget to spend time with Him. I am so guilty of that. Hope your mornig sickness leaves real soon. I had that with all 4 pregnacies. Yuk! xo

    ReplyDelete