Friday, August 26, 2011

Getting settled and kitchen reno part 1

We have arrived in Bowen it has been a crazy few weeks and I have been keeping my head down to get my mind around it all.  I have been very over whelmed with the job in front of us.  This week has been an improvement I have not been waking up wondering what on earth we are doing moving to Bowen, leaving our friends, family, good school church life and civilisation lol. 
This is the childrens fav spot at the moment :)


The kids are enjoying the beaches and love being able to go any time we want, they have been whale watching from Flagstaff hill (we just missed seeing some whales).   This afternoon I am taking them to the jetty to see if we can spot some Dugons.  Last week we went to our fishing hut, it is great to be able to have a place to go for a weekend.  Love how all we need to take is a tent and food everything else is already there makes camping so much easier.

My little man relaxing in the hammock at the hut

The house and yard needs a lot of work, my two year time frame for getting the place fixed up has been revised to a five year plan.  Also the house has shrunk since I was last here I am sure the bedrooms were bigger........At the moment the house is a huge mess I have to pack up my parents stuff and clean before I can unpack, so you can imagine there are boxes everywhere.  I have nearly finished the kitchen and have picked out some new paint for the walls.

The Kitchen is the first room that I am going decorate.  Here are some of my before pictures, however the wallpaper has been already removed and sample colours have been used around the kitchen.
 The first thing that has to go is this green paint, the photo makes it look a little dull, it is a lot brighter.

 This is a sneak peek at the colour I will be painting the walls it is a brown based white.  I have gone with this colour to tie in the wooden trim and the brown on the tiles.  Down the track I will be replacing the tiles/splash backs, tap fittings and the cupboard but as this was only done a few years ago it can wait till I have done the things that really need to be done first.  I am hoping a fresh coat of paint and some decorating will make a huge improvement.

 This wall will be painted a few shades darker and the fridge and new shelving will be going in.
As you can see there have been a lot of paint testing, a much as I am itching to get into painting I know that what looks nice in the shop under all those lights may not look the same at home.  I took 3 samples home and had a play with them until I found one that I liked. 
When trying sample paint I paint a patch on a few walls as the paint looks different in each area depending on light. 
.

I am hoping to have the kitchen finished by next week fingers crossed and hoping my baby sleeps.

1 comment:

  1. oooh that fave spot of your kids would be mine too I bet:) lovely to see a picture of your newest arrival too:)

    ReplyDelete