Monday, October 4, 2010

Sunday Dinner

Usually on Sundays I try and do a special dinner, like a roast as it is usually the only night meal my husband is home for.  Yesterday I wanted to make an extra effort as he has had to work all day yesterday, also knowing that he will be working 15 hour day monday and tuesday and has not had a day off in a while.  I also have been feeling better and have been neglecting my poor family in the meal department lately,  We have not been doing our usual Sunday evening meal since I have had morning sickness.    It is so nice to all be able to sit as a family and have dinner together, the girls love to set and decorate the table on Sunday's and my son loves to cook with me.  It has become a bit of a tradition in our house.


I try and introduce new foods, different courses to try and teach my children table edicate as well as to have a great family time, eating something different than what we have had through the week.  We use the good china and glasses (not the usual plastic ones), nice napkins.  I am a firm believer that if you do not instruct your children at home how to eat, how do you expect them to eat nicely in public.  (also noting that children will be children and you never know what they will do and it is usually in public that they decide to try something new which embarrasses you).   

Yesterday morning I put the slow cooker on with a corn beef.  When I got home from church I started my roast garlic, leek and bacon soup, and for dessert made a pineapple upside down cake with cinnamon cream and ice-cream.  (I have started a recipe blog just click on the highlighted words and it will take you there, I will be adding more recipes soon so check back later if you want the recipe for the cake or corn beef)


The yummy soup this is one of my favourite soups.

Usually when I do a corned beef I do the traditional onion white sauce boiled potatoes and carrots and either cabbage or broccoli.  Today for something different I have made a potato and leek bake with steamed veggies on the side.  I am sure if my grandfather (who is in heaven) knew what I did last night he would be most horrified and would be shaking his head at me. 

I would have more photos but my camera went flat.  Next week I will take a photo of the table set up by the girls.

2 comments:

  1. Love family traditions! (and your cooking -yum.) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you are feeling better. That dinner sounds great!

    ReplyDelete